Wednesday, May 6, 2009

burntout?

Today I sat through 3 hours of horrendous lecture about alcohol abuse and the treatment thereof. This happens to be one of my favorite subject but today everything I have learned from undergraduate and at the library last night was taught completely wrong. Boy was I excited that my 6hrs of sleep was rewarded with this.

My senior year of college I decided I wanted to participate in some research, mainly so that I could boost my not so stellar CV to get into medical school. I browsed through some web pages that UT had for students who were interested in research and stumbled upon a professor (Dr. Duvauchelle) who was looking for an undergraduate research assistant in her behavioral addiction lab. She stated that they worked with cocaine in lab rats. This seemed interesting to me, (everyone else would think I was cool at least) so I sucked up read a recently published article of hers, which I did not understand at all and somehow I go the role. Without being too technical the project I was involved with addicted lab rats to cocaine over a 16 day period and then on the last day we injected another drug into their brain to see the effects of it on the learned behaviors of the rats. I say the best part was that I was able to surgically put a catheter into the jugular veins of these rats so they could self-administer the cocaine i.v. style. None the less after a year of this I fell in love with the research.

In order to make myself happy BG, MH and I decided to make a run to our favorite hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant, Rice-n-Noodle. Sha sha knew our order immediately MH and I gave her the head nod to which she smiled and wrote down our orders. I enjoyed my beef Thia rice, level two spicy, egg roll and ranch salad and both MH and BG enjoyed their chicken pad Thia level two spicy, egg roll and peanut sauce.

I returned to my favorite study room in the library with my fellow classmates. In order to be productive I left my computer and decided to go downstairs to read my book over sleep disorders on the comfy leather couches and an hour later I woke up to the same page. Irony? Pherhaps. Burntout? Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment