Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hopkins and BostonMed

I finished up my second round of boards this week and have been relaxing all week. I heard about a show called BostonMed, that filmed the lives of attendings, residents, and nurses at Mass General, Brigham and Women's, and Boston Children's. I have always had a love-hate relationship with medical shows on tv. They can be very entertaining but also are frustrating because they freak out about stuff that is very common and don't represent what the hospital is actually like. For instance every time they show an operating room the lights are off. Yes many operations that are done laprascopically do have the lights off but I would say the majority of surgeries I have been in on the lights were on. That being said I have always like the show House M.D. and Scrubs but never really gotten in to shows like Grey's Anatomy.

I watched the entire mini-series of BostonMed in two days. It was really good. Granted I have only been working in the hospital as a medical student for one year and have not gone through residency I think the show depicts life at the hospital very well. The interactions between the staff is spot on, after all the show is real and not scripted. So if you really want to see what life is like and not just get caught up in the DRAMA of Grey's then I highly recommend watching these mini-series'.

As soon as I finished BostonMed I started watching episodes of Hopkins which is really good as well. Hopkins actually came out before BostonMed so you can see how they improved the show. Hopkins basically does the same thing as BostonMed except it follows around attendings, residents and nurses at Johns Hopkins. Watching all these episodes has me extremely pumped about being a resident even though they are extremely tired and worn out. The show also has me pumped about being on the East coast for the next few months. There are beautiful shots of Boston and Baltimore throughout the series. The cities are so beautiful and vibrant, I just can't wait to be in that setting doing what I love.

I start my first official neurosurgery rotation on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment: